[mythtv-users] help! Ubuntu upgrade ate my mythtv

Dan Kressin dkressin at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 15:15:52 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

> I would use the mythbuntu-desktop metapackage.  It may install more
> than  you need.. but depending upon what triggered the removal, you
> might need those things... and it might make a difference when
> upgrading next time as the mythbuntu packagers use it as the key
> meta-package for all mythbuntu installs.
>
> Compare http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/mythtv-backend-master to
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/mythbuntu-desktop

I went ahead with mythbuntu-desktop and the backend seems to be OK.  You were right, there were several other packages missing that I hadn't realized.

I'll start a new thread for my FE issues, but here are some follow-up BE questions.  My setup is OTA (8VSB) via two internal PCI tuners and an HDHR, all connected to the same antenna, single line-up from SchedulesDirect.

1) A channel rescan detected 8 "MPEG Channels" -- I'm guessing these are bogus and should be ignored rather than added, but what are they?
2) The rescan also found some "conflicting" channels, apparently duplicates of, or changes to, 25_1.  Is mythweb the easiest way to delete channels?  I didn't see an obvious way within mythtv-setup.
3) If I delete all channels and do a fresh channel scan, will that affect or remove existing recording schedules that are based on the "old" channels?  Or should things continue to work provided the scan finds a new "7_1" to replace the existing (to-be-deleted) 7_1?

I'll continue the upgrade to 12.04 soon, but I need to clear a few hundred MB of space first.

Thanks!
-Dan