[mythtv-users] Frontend as cable settop box--using Live-TV

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Aug 8 19:07:19 UTC 2013

On 08/08/13 19:15, Kris B. wrote:
>> Your description about the quality of the LiveTV code (as it has evolved,
>> not blaming anyone for that) is why I framed my question the way I did.
>> I've gotten this impression after reading the mailing list for years:
>> There may still be issues there, for some people, that require a
>> particular
>> sequence of events only on certain configurations to trigger, but even
>> after finding identifying them and opening a ticket, the only way to
>> really
>> fix things is, as you say, with C-4 and start from the ground up.  I know
>> the developers know this.  I also realize that starting from the ground
>> up
>> is alot of work and why it hasn't and may never happen.  Fine by me.
>>

> Even still - just throwing it out there - in the future if for some
> reason Myth developers ripped out Live TV in their code - all you would
> need to do is get an HDHomeRun, and run a viewing app as an external
> program (which might even be a good idea now for those who want to
> surf)... I don't think that will happen, but there are workarounds that
> I'm sure someone could come up with for everyone.  If Myth doesn't know
> about the tuner, it can't use it.
>
> I do watch Live TV several times a year - I'm a farmer (and an IT guy
> for a bank).  Needing immediately knowledge of weather during storms is
> important.  Also during events of importance (Zimmerman verdict was one
> recently)... for the most part, though - if if is a show, it gets
> recorded - we don't surf like the old days.

There's always the Russian option - most TVs these days actually have tuners in
them. If someone wants to watch Live TV then perhaps they could do exactly that?
It's the same signal that goes to all the tuners in the cupboard, after all. And
it saves recording and viewing something you probably didn't want to save
anyway, while myth carries on recording all the important stuff.

--

Mike Perkins