[mythtv-users] VAAPI does not work

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sun Aug 11 22:26:15 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-11, at 2:48 PM, Thomas Börkel wrote:

> Anyone here have it running?

I’m using VAAPI with myth master (ie, 0.27) on debian wheezy which is the current stable. The intel driver is 2.19.0 with vaapi 1.0.17 all on X server 1.12.4, there are other modules involved, like DRI, but it’s basically all stuff that’s a year old. I built this machine in January and have always used the onboard ivy bridge graphics.

Everything works great for me except for some tearing. I’ve learned to ignore it so I can’t tell you if it’s frequent or unusual. There was an early problem where whatever divers debian was shipping in January had memory leaks / wild pointers which caused the FE to crash frequently but that got upgraded away sometime last spring and it has been smooth sailing since.

I believe there has been work done post 0.26 to improve VAAPI integration. I know recently JYA improved the refresh rate management to support 24p with intel (and probably amd) which makes vaapi feel like a top of the line choice. Previously 24p was an nVidia-only thing. Intel’s de-telecini support seems to be very good, I have even had it pull 24p out of 25Hz material which impressed me.

My off the wall advice would be to wait for 0.27 and move to it or roll the dice today with the alpha tarball. I doubt the problem is your X versions - debian stable ships your grandma’s vaapi drivers and myth works great with them.

- George