[mythtv-users] Multiple duplicated recordings

Alex Tomlins alex at tomlins.org.uk
Mon Aug 12 20:49:01 UTC 2013

On 12/08/13 21:32, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/12/2013 04:29 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 08/12/2013 04:21 PM, Alex Tomlins wrote:
>>> I'm have an 'any time on any channel' rule set up to record Top
>>> Gear.  At the moment there are one or 2 episodes of this where all
>>> 6+ showings of it are recorded (Dave likes to repeat things a lot).
>>>
>>> I'm using xmltv (UK Radio Times) for listing data, and the episodes
>>> with the problems are the ones with no series/episode information
>>> that therefore don't have a programid in Myth.  If I understand
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Duplicate_matching correctly, this should
>>> fall back to the duplicate detection method in this case, which I've
>>> set to Subtitle and Description.
>>>
>>> Looking in the database, the subtitles are all blank, and they all
>>> have exactly the same description
>>
>> Blank actually means NULL and, in MySQL, NULL != NULL (i.e. you can't
>> compare subtitle for equality if there is no subtitle--else it will
>> /always/ compare as different).
>
> OK, actually, it's not NULL, but we treat an empty subtitle as a
> "generic" episode when using "subtitle and description" meaning we'll
> record it, regardless of the duplicate matching mechanism, just in
> case it's new.
>
>> Therefore, change your duplicate detection mechanism to "subtitle
>> then description", which will use subtitle if it's available,
>> otherwise it will use description.
>
> Still the right fix.

Doh! I sent my last message before seeing this one.

I'll give this a go, and just keep an eye on things for a bit. Thinking
about it a bit more, I think the problems were before I switched to
XMLTV, so with luck it won't be a problem any more.

thanks for your help,
Alex

--
Alex Tomlins
Email/Jabber: alex at tomlins.org.uk

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who finish what they started