[mythtv-users] Ensure STB is on

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 14 01:06:14 UTC 2013

//snip//

I made some changes, but I don't think I "chmod" ed properly:

 daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ cd /usr/local/bin

daryl at daryl-A780L3C:/usr/local/bin$ ls -al

total 20

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Aug 13 13:55 .

drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Feb 13 17:07 ..

-rwxrwxr-x  1 root root  486 Aug 12 15:10 change-channel.sh

-rwxrwxr-x  1 root root 2088 Aug 12 14:13 change-channel.sh~

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1590 Aug 13 13:55 check_stb

daryl at daryl-A780L3C:/usr/local/bin$

Daryl - I'm about as far away from being an expert in these things as you
can be and not be still using a stone axe but will give a quick response on
this one in case it helps you move to the next step. I think the 'rw-r--r--'
next to the 'check_stb' means:

rw- (first group of 3 characters) owner (root) can read and write but not
execute

r-- second group of 3 characters) group (root) can read but not write or
execute

r--(third grouping of 3 characters) other can read but not write or execute

To change the permissions of owner to allow it to execute would need to:

chmod 744 /usr/local/bin/check_stb

This should give 'rwxr--r--' but would need to execute the file as owner
(root) in your case most likely using sudo.

Note for me chmod can also only be run by superuser so I need to preface
with sudo and then enter password, you might need to do the same:

sudo chmod 744 /usr/local/bin/check_stb

I tend to use 755 when setting a file to execute which should give
permissions of 'rwxr-xr-x'. If the script is going to be called by other
users (for example the mythtv user) then that would probably be recommended.

sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/check_stb

You should then be able to execute as per the original command below.

//snip//

To test the script, you can simply run it manually from a terminal
prompt:

  /usr/local/bin/check_stb

results of test:

 daryl at daryl-A780L3C:/usr/local/bin$ cd ~

daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ /usr/local/bin/check_stb

bash: /usr/local/bin/check_stb: Permission denied

daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ sudo /usr/local/bin/check_stb

[sudo] password for daryl:

sudo: /usr/local/bin/check_stb: command not found

daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$

//snip//