[mythtv-users] Upgrading from .25 to .26 worthwhile?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Thu Aug 15 14:31:05 UTC 2013

At 10:05 AM -0400 8/15/13, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>On 08/15/2013 09:27 AM, Aaron Klein wrote:
>>Im wondering if it is worth while to upgrade my setup from .25 to
>>the .26 release.  I have looked over the change log and see that
>>there are several changes of course and it looks like there is some
>>DB changes that occur based on the change in how time is stored.
>>For those that have moved from .25 to .26 im curious what you feel
>>are the highpoints that would drive the upgrade aside from doing it
>>to run the latest current release.  My .25 setup has been extremly
>>stable for well over a year.
>>I am running Ubuntu 12.04 release if that maters.
>
>The main reason to upgrade to the current, supported, stable version
>is because it's the version that's supported.  The only down side is
>you have to figure out what's changed and how it affects you.  But,
>in so doing, you'll also be able to understand posts talking about
>the current, stable version and be able to help others on the list
>with using the current, stable version--passing on that knowledge of
>what's changed.
>
>That said, you're in the time period when 0.26 is probably not going
>to be the current, supported version for long, so you may want to
>consider just waiting until 0.27 is released and upgrading once,
>then.

I recently upgraded from 0.25 to 0.26.  0.26 seems to be considerably
more memory hungry.  My backend/frontend/database manger all run on
an older Core2 Duo with 2 GB of RAM.  The machine is now heavily into
swap.  Previously I also ran MythWeb (via Apache2) on the same
machine.  I also switched to MythCenter-Wide to try to reduce RAM
requirements for the frontend.  I used to use another theme that
showed fan art and whatnot (can't remember which, offhand).

Also, the backend may be using a lot more CPU while recording from
the HDHomerun (North American OTA).  Last night, it was recording a
single HD showing but the backend was using 30-35% of one core.
Previously, I believe it used 7-9%!  Comflagging was also running.
The frontend was unusable--frequent 3-5 second pauses.  Need to check
this out before the fall premiere season starts!

YMMV.

Craig