[mythtv-users] Upgrading from .25 to .26 worthwhile?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Fri Aug 16 02:00:19 UTC 2013

At 10:44 AM +1000 8/16/13, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>On 16 August 2013 00:31, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>
>>  I recently upgraded from 0.25 to 0.26.  0.26 seems to be considerably more
>>  memory hungry.  My backend/frontend/database manger all run on an older
>>  Core2 Duo with 2 GB of RAM.  The machine is now heavily into swap.
>>  Previously I also ran MythWeb (via Apache2) on the same machine.  I also
>>  switched to MythCenter-Wide to try to reduce RAM requirements for the
>>  frontend.  I used to use another theme that showed fan art and whatnot
>>  (can't remember which, offhand).
>
>Well, it's not.

Really, J-Y, not everything is a personal attack aimed at you.

>0.26 won't use any more memory than 0.25, in fact it uses less thanks
>to all the fixes that went in and the various leaks discovered.

So, should we shut down the bug database and go home since there will
never need to be another change to Myth?

In my case, right now, .26 uses more than .25.  I didn't say that
_everyone_ has the same issue.  It doesn't help to shoot the
messenger whenever they report something that isn't a glowing
positive.

>  >
>>  Also, the backend may be using a lot more CPU while recording from the
>>  HDHomerun (North American OTA).  Last night, it was recording a single HD
>>  showing but the backend was using 30-35% of one core. Previously, I believe
>>  it used 7-9%!  Comflagging was also running. The frontend was
>>  unusable--frequent 3-5 second pauses.  Need to check this out before the
>>  fall premiere season starts!
>
>Unfortunately, it seems that people upgrading not just mythtv but
>other part of the system tends to blame mythtv for everything

Very little changed other than a new version of Myth.  (Possible
exception: Qt may have gone from 4.8.4 to 4.8.5 at the same time.)  I
freely admit that *I* may be the cause.  But the OP asked for
experiences, so I shared mine.

I've spent the last 40+ minutes doing a little more testing.  I
started a single HD recording and mythbackend began using between 22
and 35% of a core.  As expected, mythmetadatalookup ran and then
mythcommflag kicked off.

After 10 minutes, mythcommflag began searching for logo.  The log
shows "RingBuf ...taking too long" and "RingBuf...Waited x.x seconds
for data".  At 19:10, avformatdecoder reported an unknown decoding
error and commflag halted.

I noticed that 400 or 500 MB of free memory was now gone.  The
frontend was no longer as responsive to key strokes as it usually is.

I then started recording one more HD stream and 2 SD streams.  After
a few minutes, mythbackend was using 40 to 50% of one core with 61
threads running.  The system was receiving 5.1 MB/s from the two
HDHomeruns at this point.

Two of the SD recordings ended after 10 minutes.  A few minutes after
that, I noticed mythbackend was only using 16% of one core (51
threads) and the system had 100 MB more free RAM.  Still receiving
4.0 MB/s from the HDHRs.

This is with:
$ mythbackend --version
MythTV Version : v0.26-99eb39adb-MacPorts
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.26
Network Protocol : 75
Library API : 0.26.20130225-1
QT Version : 4.8.5
Options compiled in:
  release use_hidesyms darwin_da using_corevideo using_backend
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
using_darwin using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_iptv
using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libxml2 using_libudf using_lirc
using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
using_qtdbus using_appleremote using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_darwin_da
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_live
using_mheg using_libxml2 using_libudf

Box is a Core2 Duo Mac Mini with 2GB of RAM running OS X 10.7.5
recording to a Firewire 400 disk.

>I upgraded to 0.27 yesterday, and now it's raining outside.. there
>must be a link

Can't confirm that correlation!  ;)  I wish it would rain here; lawn
is going brown.

Craig