[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Fred Watt fredwattmythtv at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 19:19:21 UTC 2013

On 16/08/13 20:09, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 8/16/2013 3:01 PM, Fred Watt wrote:
>>>
>>> An Atom is already no great shakes, but any ARM is going to be a
>>> downgrade.
>>>
>> Maybe I should just wait a few more months to see what appears
>> Q3/Q4.  A low watt intel/linux solution makes so much sense from many
>> perspectives. I was baiting - I guess - to see if I was missing a
>> trick for an efficient server.
>
> My 3.3GHz G2120 frontend idles around 25W, and that's including the
> inefficiencies of a non-80Plus power supply.  The system itself is
> probably somewhere under 15W.  I recently picked up a PicoPSU and an
> external brick, so I'll have to test what amperage it's actually using
> sometime this weekend.
>
> Once you get below a certain level, it's not worth the effort to push
> it further.  One watt used non-stop typically costs roughly $1/yr.
My server idles around 30Watts - that's with pico+2xTB raid, does lots
of server duties incl. myth.  I do agree once you get to a certain point
there's no 'real' payback in savings vs effort any more.  You make a
good point.

As I'm in need of a refresh, I'm wondering what I could do this time
round - need the h/w to appear.  Interesting that the G2120 tdp 10w, as
it has intel graphics it might make a server/frontend with VAAPI.  But
then again, the i3 haswells might be better value in a performance per
watt calculation.  I guess this is the fun part wondering, then window
shopping as and when.