[mythtv-users] Hauppauge DVBT-500 Unable to Tune in MythTV

Ian Barton lists at wilkesley.net
Sat Aug 17 08:04:54 UTC 2013

On 16/08/13 13:20, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 16/08/13 10:47, Roger Siddons wrote:

>>> Some slight progress. When I get the "Time out tuning...", if I choose
>>> another channel the tuner can tune OK. However, it won't tune some
>>> channels which I suspect are all on a different multiplex. The other
>>> Avermedia tuner can tune to these without any problems.
>>>
>>> As far as I know no changes have been made to channels since the last
>>> big shakeup a few months ago. I'll try re-scanning for channels and
>>> see if that helps. I may be gone some time....
>>>

>> The 'Auto' bandwidth parameter is part of the mux/transport definition.
>> Use Myth-Setup/Channel Editor/Edit Transports to modify it. My
>> bandwidths are all set to 8 MHz. Sounds like your problem muxe(s) may
>> have been re-scanned with a different tuner (that does support 'Auto'
>> bandwidth detection)
>>
>> Also, you said you tried the "various time out options". The "tuning
>> time-out" & "signal time-out" settings won't have much effect. The
>> important one is the "tuning delay" in the Recording Options sub-screen.
>> 250 ms works for me.
>>

> Not strictly relevant here, but I notice that after a recent rescan
> Film4 and More4 are now usually 720*576, and with somewhat higher
> bitrates than before.  Previously they were 544*576.  Both are now in
> the ITV mux.

I think that I have finally fixed the problem, but I don't know why. I
can only work on the system in early morning, or late at night. Failure
to record Coronation Street would result in an intimate connection with
a red hot poker.

All steps were prefixed with delete all capture cards, delete all
channels and transports, followed by a cold restart.

The Avermedia Card (Zarlink) would find all my channels using a tuned
scan. I have scanned this way for some time, as doing a Full Scan hasn't
worked for me for a long time. However, see below.

After scanning channels using the Avermedia card, the Hauppauge refused
to tune most of them.

Doing a Tuned Scan of each frequency with the Hauppauge failed to find
any channels at all.

Finally I did a Full Scan using the Hauppauge and it seems to have found
all the channels. It's early days, but so far things seem to be working.

Ian.