[mythtv-users] Upgrading from .25 to .26 worthwhile?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 19 13:54:33 UTC 2013

On 08/19/2013 09:16 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 19 August 2013 21:28, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Note, though, that you're not using a Core 2 Duo 2GHz with 2GB of RAM
>> running Mac OS X.  So, really, choosing 0.25, and not the
>> currently-supported, stable version, based on the "it takes more CPU and
>> stutters when recording and playing back at the same time" experience of
>> another user is comparing Apples and GNU/Linux.  (And GNU/Linux is /still/
>> the primary platform for MythTV--and the one on which lots of people
>> successfully use the currently-supported, stable version.)
> My main frontend is a mac mini running at 2GHz with 2GB of RAM and
> running ubuntu 12.04.
> It uses the VDPAU Normal profile
>
> And it's brilliant as a frontend...

The point I was trying to make was that the big "Don't do it" in this
thread was a /very/ different system from the OP's that shouldn't be
used as a point of comparison (and not whether Mac OS is a good platform
for MythTV use--as I don't know anything about it).  I still think the
OP should use the current stable version of MythTV.  And, if he did, it
sounds like he probably wouldn't have the "storage to buffer value"
issue he's seeing with 0.25.

Basically, in spite of popular misconception, MythTV /is/ getting better
with new versions.  But, as always, a good MythTV requires a proper
configuration of MythTV, its dependencies, and the underlying system
software.  And, proper configuration for 0.25 may well be different from
proper configuration for 0.26, so you can't just assume MythTV is broken
if "it worked great on 0.x but 0.x+1 doesn't work"--this is where it
pays to take advantage of all the work packagers do to ensure a proper
configuration (especially by using a distro with great packages that are
well tested by many users).

Mike