[mythtv-users] Digital Pass-through Using HDMI

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 19 22:21:01 UTC 2013

> I helped my son set up a new MythTV setup for his new home (yes, he finally
> moved out, but no, he didn't want to leave the MythTV scene!).  Figured the
> easiest solution was to use MythBuntu.  The setup was pretty straightforward
> (as much as any piece of this project can be :) ).  The one piece we cannot
> solve is the sound.  He has a Logitech 5.1 system with digital coax.
> Unfortunately, his MB only has analog output :(.  However, his new 60"
> Panasonic plasma TV has audio pass-through :) .  When we try to test the
> audio through the MythTV audio setup (he is running current 0.27) we cannot
> get anything to "pass-through" except 2 channel stereo.  There are other
> choices that include 5.1 but we get "No digital signal" from the Logitech
> controller.  Has anyone else tried this or have any ideas beside buying a
> sound card?

Does the logitech system have a dolby digital/AC3 decoder?  Like the
Z906? (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z906?crid=47)

Assuming it does, then you need to make sure you checked the boxes to
pass through DD and DTS through in your frontend audio configuration
(where you set the audio output device).  Otherwise I think it puts
out a multichannel PCM signal that the receiver probably doesn't
understand.