[mythtv-users] Digital Pass-through Using HDMI

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 22:42:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Kenneth Emerson
<kenneth.emerson at gmail.com>wrote:

> I helped my son set up a new MythTV setup for his new home (yes, he
> finally moved out, but no, he didn't want to leave the MythTV scene!).
>  Figured the easiest solution was to use MythBuntu.  The setup was pretty
> straightforward (as much as any piece of this project can be :) ).  The one
> piece we cannot solve is the sound.  He has a Logitech 5.1 system with
> digital coax.  Unfortunately, his MB only has analog output :(.  However,
> his new 60" Panasonic plasma TV has audio pass-through :) .  When we try to
> test the audio through the MythTV audio setup (he is running current 0.27)
> we cannot get anything to "pass-through" except 2 channel stereo.  There
> are other choices that include 5.1 but we get "No digital signal" from the
> Logitech controller.  Has anyone else tried this or have any ideas beside
> buying a sound card?
>
> -- Ken E.

Common problem, with probably no solution.  The TV itself only has two
speakers, so it reports two channels as the maximum it can handle.  HDMI
will not transmit more audio channels than the device it is attached to can
handle...  At least that was the situation when I looked into a similar
problem a couple of years ago.

John