[mythtv-users] Assistance with digital audio configuration requested

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 22:50:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> On 19/08/13 20:52, John Nissley wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2013-08-16 at 14:28 -0700, Karl Newman wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>>>          On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM, John Nissley
>>>          <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
>>>          > I am running close to the latest trunk of mythtv and for the
>>>          last few
>>>          > months I have been having some interesting challenges with
>>>          digital
>>>          > audio.
>>>          > I am running Fedora 18 and an intel CPU with intel graphics
>>>          and sound
>>>          > drivers.  A few months ago the digital sound stopped going
>>>          out through
>>>          > my spdif connector and started going through my DVI
>>>          connector that is
>>>          > connected with a DVI to HDMI connector to my TV.  My TV has
>>>          a spdif out
>>>          > but it only works for TV stations the TV tunes and not sound
>>>          coming in
>>>          > from an HDMI port.  I am trying to get the digital sound to
>>>          go through
>>>          > my SPDIF connection so I can get it to my tuner.
>>>          > Can anyone point me in the direction to get this resolved?
>>>          > Many thanks..
>>>

>>>          If the sound is being carried VIA the graphics cable, then
>>>          most likely
>>>          you have two sound devices in your system.  One is probably a
>>>          standard
>>>          Intel or Realtek HDA hosting your spdif.  The other is likely
>>>          associated with your video card.  In mythtv's playback menus,
>>>          make
>>>          sure that your explicitly telling it to use the standard sound
>>>          card,
>>>          not the video card.
>>>
>>> There was also a change to ALSA in kernel 3.8 which broke S/PDIF. It
>>> was about device numbering or something. It was broken in favor of
>>> fixing HDMI sound, but I think a newer version of alsa-lib can fix it,
>>> but you'd need to re-scan in myth. It may not solve your problem, but
>>> it might be something worth exploring.
>>>

>>> Karl
>>>
>>>  Thanks for your response. I am on kernel version 3.10.7-100 fc18 and my
>> alsa lib is alsa-lib-1.0.26-2.fc18.x86_64.  Do you have any idea if this
>> is the offending lib version and if so what is the best way to replace
>> it with a new one.  I have even tried installing a stand alone PCI sound
>> card just to make sure it was not in internal motherboard issue and
>> still no success.  I have basically tested with all available sound
>> outputs that mythtv give me and found that only the HDMI and analog
>> outputs work.
>>
>>  Despite the electrical match between DVI and HDMI, I don't believe that
> a DVI interface will carry sound. You have to be HDMI end to end for that
> to work.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

May I piggy-back a related question here?  On my FE/BE dual boot, I have to
unplug the cord from the headphone jack on the PC to get audio on Windows,
(it can stay plugged into the TV) and plug it back in for Ubuntu. I have
HDMI out of PC and HDMI into TV. Audio should work on the HDMI for both
scenario's shouldn't it?

Daryl