[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 02:57:36 UTC 2013

>> different requirements; a BE requires no HD decode or de-interlacing
>
> I think what you're trying to say is a backend does not require *realtime*
> HDTV decode (otherwise, how could it do commercial detection?)--

Actually, I meant it literally. I don't need/want/do commflagging or
transcoding.

> And, really, advanced scheduling support and ... aren't requirements either.
> And if you take this approach (again, the "bend your expectations to your
> underpowered hardware" approach),

I don't "give up" commflagging to accommodate "weak" hardware. I never
wanted commflagging in the first place. But I do want a
quiet/small/efficient DVR appliance; therefore, I built a system that
satisfies my wants.

> If you're not building a system that can do what makes MythTV
> unique,
> nearly all of the "myth" that MythTV made real is available elsewhere.
> IMHO, there's no longer a lot of reason to choose MythTV

We've all got an itch we want scratched -- for me, the big one is
timestretch. If/when a commercial box becomes available that has
timestretch (and a few other odds and ends), you're right -- it makes
more sense to just buy it and plug it in. (At least, until I find some
other killer Myth feature I can't live without...)