[mythtv-users] Slave Backend requirements

Doug Scoular (dscoular) dscoular at cisco.com
Tue Aug 20 23:22:08 UTC 2013

Hi,
In the midst of all this discussion on low powered systems (arm et al)… I was wondering what requirements a Slave Backend might have.

1) Does the Slave Backend merely present tuner cards to the Master Backend's scheduler or does it do some hard work of it's own ?

2) Can a powerful Master Backend access the Slave Backend's storage groups and run the commercial detection and/or user jobs instead of the Slave ?

I'm wondering if a simpler, more appropriate role for low powered systems might be to present more tuners to a powerful Master Backend. Maybe that is not what a Slave Backend offers or maybe a low end system could be made to present tuners a bit like an HDHomeRun or PopcornHour does. Any thoughts or explanations much appreciated.

Righto, I'm pulling my flame retardant, drinking trousers on now… flame on!

Cheers,

Doug