[mythtv-users] BE off line

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 21 12:44:17 UTC 2013

On 08/20/2013 03:03 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>> Ah, so you mean an offline recording status (presumably for all upcoming
>>> recordings?).  Assuming you didn't start the backend with the --no-sched
>>> development/testing option, an offline recording status means that all the
>>> backends that could possibly record that showing are offline.
>>>
>>> If you have multiple backends, make sure that all of them are still
>>> running and accessible over the network when you see offline status for
>>> upcoming recordings.
>>>
>>> If you're only supposed to have one master backend, this is probably due
>>> to an Input Connections configuration issue--generally it's caused (exactly
>>> as you described, where things seem to work for a while then at some time
>>> in the future just stop working) by having some defined, but unconnected,
>>> piece(s) in your setup.  So, for example, having capture cards defined, but
>>> no inputs connected to Video Sources, or having Video Sources defined, but
>>> not connected to any inputs, or having channels defined but not part of any
>>> valid Video Sources (even "shadow" channels--having multiple copies of
>>> channels defined).
>>>
>>> If it's the latter, you may be using the right approach to clean it
>>> up--"Delete all capture cards" (not "Delete all capture cards on
>>> <hostname>" /and/ "Delete all video sources."  And, if you're using the
>>> right approach to clean it up, it means you're consistently making the same
>>> mistakes/misconfiguration when re-creating the pieces you've deleted.
>>>
>>> See, also, http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034
>> Thanks for the info gentlemen, and for the patience, reading replies and
>> many other posts makes me feel like less of a newbie, despite the facts.
>>
>   Checking again today the recording status for my PVR-150 card is "F". If
> I'm reading you correctly, Mr. Dean I need to focus on my input connections
> after deleting all capture cards (not delete all capture cards on
> <hostname>) and reinstalling them. I've assigned motorola to the
> [MPEG:/dev/video2/](Tuner 1). Do I need to delete these other aspects of
> this card?:
> [MPEG: /dev/video2] (S-video 1)
> [MPEG: /dev/video2] (composite 1)
> [MPEG: /dev/video2] (S-video 2)
> [MPEG: /dev/video2] (composite 2)
> as these all have nothing connected to them and no source assigned? And if
> so how? I've tried highlighting and the "d" key, to no avail.

You can't delete inputs from the Input Connections screen, as that lists
all available inputs on the card.  You need to ensure that every single
Capture Card has at least one input connected, and that every single
Video Source has valid Channels and that every single Channel is in a
valid (and connected) Video Source.  The "Input Connections
configuration" is the sum total of all configuration related to Capture
Card, Video Source, Channel, and Input Connections (as they're all tied
together with the Input Connections).  So, I'm saying that /something/
in there is almost definitely misconfigured.  The challenge is figuring
out what.  :(

The "Delete all..." approach (with Video Sources and Capture Cards)
simply deletes all of the configuration related to Input Connections,
allowing you to start fresh with an "empty" Input Connections
configuration--as if you had a brand new database.  Unfortunately,
though, after doing that, you have to configure everything properly, or
you'll still have problems.  That means you need to go through the
process, again, slowly and consider all the instructions and things
you've tried to attempt to figure out what you need to do differently to
get a proper configuration.

Mike