[mythtv-users] Ceton infinitv 6 Eth & mythtv?

Matt Mossholder matt at mossholder.com
Thu Aug 22 02:27:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Matt Mossholder <matt at mossholder.com>wrote:

> This just in... it looks like it was a signal level problem, compounded by
> the 6 Eth being a little flaky.
>
> I reduced the number of splitters etc. in the house down to just the cable
> modem, the TV in the bedroom, and the 6 Eth, with the 6 Eth and the TV
> being behind an amp. That seems to have brought the signal level up enough
> that things are working.
>
> The bit about the 6 Eth being flaky is that it was pretty much stuck at a
> -48 dBmV signal level until I reset it, which was masking the need for more
> signal. Once I rebooted it, it went to more reasonable (but still low)
> levels.
>
> Why I could capture via VLC is a mystery to me.
>
> I've watched a few minutes of live TV, but have yet to do a real
> recording. I'll post in the morning with the results of the things it tries
> to record over night.
>

>      --Matt

OK, I think I have bottomed out the source of the issues. As part of the
tests to see if the tuners are present, the backend sets the device to a
channel, and then after confirming the device is accepting commands, sets
the channel AND frequency to 0.

In my tests, it seems that setting the frequency to 0 causes the tuner to
fail, a high percentage of the time, and it only comes back with a power
cycle. I've confirmed this from the web interface by setting to a channel,
confirming lock, then tuning to 0/0, waiting, then tuning back to the
channel. JUST changing the channel seems to not cause the issue.

     --Matt