[mythtv-users] upgrade to low-power-consumption-system query

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Aug 23 09:06:07 UTC 2013

On 23/08/2013 6:44 a.m., James Miller wrote:

> I'd like to ask to begin with how feasible it might be to use a laptop
> to replace my current myth desktop box? Laptops have very low power
> consumption, and bottom-of-the-line models that are quite
> reasonably-priced have better specs than my current myth box. I do
> understand the drawbacks--namely, there are no expansion slots in which
> to insert capture cards and hard drive space will be limited. I suppose
> video quality could be a drawback as well, since these low-end laptops
> tend to have crappy display hardware. I'm not sure that would present a
> problem for me since I am not much of a video connoisseur and my display
> is only capable of 720p anyway; so I'm not too concerned with the
> sub-par video issue.

Check out an "old" Dell D830 Latitude with NVIDIA NVS-140M (vdpau
capable) and up to a 1920x1200 display option, and a docking station
options.  Complete with UPS (Battery!) Max CPU option is T9500 2.6G and
4G RAM.
Search for dfamily_docking.pdf and dell d830 .pdf for spec sheets. There
are higher spec gaming PC's also but I'm not familiar with them.
Not sure about how many USB hosts there are but under XP "system" device
manager there are possibly 6 USB root hubs and host controllers. (Not
sure if that's the same though)
I've also had a D830 / NVS-140 with a 1280x800 display playback 1080i
H264, no doubt cut down to fit!  They work fine as a frontend, I've not
run as a backend but see no reason why can't.
HDD options include using a 2nd HDD in the DVD slot, and a D-Dock
external HDD module, as well as the more obvious options. eSATA can also
be connected via Express card slot / interconnection card.