[mythtv-users] livetv choppy DVB-S1/2 (player waited x ms for video buffers)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Aug 23 09:42:04 UTC 2013

On 23/08/13 08:41, Stefan Pappalardo wrote:
(snip)

> In mythfrontend.log there are many of these lines...
>
> Aug 23 00:46:08 obelix mythlogserver: mythfrontend[560]: N CoreContext
> mythplayer.cpp:2093 (PrebufferEnoughFrames) Player(0): Waited 100ms for
> video buffers LAAAAUALAAAuAUUAAAAUAUuAAuuAUAUP
>
> I've tried many things to improve performance...
>
> + using an SSD as system disk
> + videos, recordings and mysql-db on another hard-disk (normal hd)
> + 8 GB of RAM
> + display profile: normal (tried slim without improvement)
> + deinstalling pulseaudio

One thing that is generally recommended is to keep your database and your
recordings on separate disks, and by 'disks' I mean spindles, not partitions.

This is because the database is being updated during recordings with seek table
information at the same time as the content is being written to disk.

By having the database in the same spindle as the recordings you are forcing the
heads to keep moving between two separate files, many times a second. If the
recordings and the database are on separate spindles the heads can stay where
they are: head movement is the largest cause of delay when writing.

I'm not saying that this is the main cause of your problems, but it certainly
won't help. Eliminating conflicts such as I have described may help you get to
the bottom of your real problem.

--

Mike Perkins