[mythtv-users] recent information for programming harmony remotes?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Aug 25 17:49:27 UTC 2013

On 8/25/2013 1:44 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 13-08-25 01:00 PM, Michael wrote:
>> I bought an MCE receiver which is well supported under Linux and
>> MythTV.  Then I just tell harmony that I have an Microsoft Media
>> Center PC.
>
> But then you are lowering the functionality of the Harmony remote down
> to the lower common denominator of that (comparably) impotent little MCE
> remote.  Again, something any cheapo All-for-One remote can do, for $10.
>   I'm hoping to get much more functionality than that.

The Harmony profile is just a list of IR codes that the remote knows
your receiver can understand. That part of things is no different than
what any cheapo All-for-One remote can do. The value of a Harmony remote
is in the activities, IR macros, and management of power and input
states of multiple devices, and that configuration is independent of
anything that has to happen on the PC side of things.