[mythtv-users] Hauppauge grey remote with homemade serial IR receiver in MythTV 0.26 and Fedora 19

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Aug 26 13:00:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:56:30 +1000, you wrote:

>On 26 August 2013 20:55, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> That looks fine, with mceremote -> lirc0.  But if you have multiple IR
>> receivers like me, then which one turns up on lirc0 can change with a
>> reboot.  Which is why I use the udev rule to tie down /dev/lirc0 as my
>> MCE remote.
>
>different approach.
>/dev/mceremote will always point to the right /dev/lircX ; so it
>doesn't matter if my MCE device change

If you were using /dev/mceremote in hardware.conf, that would be
correct.  But you are using /dev/lirc0 in hardware.conf, so if your
MCE remote should ever move to something other than /dev/lirc0, things
will not work.

>> So, what does ir-keytable show?
>
>I haven't had a look into it yet..
>
>I only ever tried to make lirc works the way it always did through lircd

But the old lircd way does not work properly any more with the move of
the drivers into the kernel.  Strange things happen unless you get it
working with the kernel drivers.  It is less noticeable with MCE
remotes - they appear to still work the same, except for some subtle
things.  I think I remember having one or two keys stop working as
they were not mapped at the ir-keytable level.  And IIRC, the
autorepeat did not work or did not work well.  With my TD-500 and
HVR-900 remotes, they had very noticeable problems such as taking half
a second to do things, and no autorepeat, and mismapped keys.  But by
moving everything over to properly using the kernel drivers and
ir-keytable, they all became completely stable and worked as expected
again.

I think there is a way to blacklist the kernel MCE driver and really
use the old lircd way using the old drivers, but I never tried that,
and it is not recommended.

The way it works now is you set things up at the ir-keytable level,
then run lircd which sees the keycodes mapped by ir-keytable.  It is
possible to run with just an ir-keytable set up and no lircd running,
but you lose lots of the things that are done in lircd such as the
autorepeat controls and the ability to do different key mappings for
different programs.  If you set up your ir-keytable config customised
for mythfrontend, it will likely not work with any other program such
as mplayer.  So the best way is to set up the ir-keytable config so
that it has sensible key mappings that map the remote keys to
equivalent keyboard keys, then remap everything in the lircd config to
what each program wants.  That way you can actually use your remote
for keyboard input into a terminal as well, if you ever ran across a
use for that.