[mythtv-users] android sticks

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Mon Aug 26 23:11:11 UTC 2013

On 8/26/2013 4:38 PM, Tyler T wrote:
>> Actually, it's either a lot harder, or a bit simpler, depending on which route you
>> choose.  You're either talking about porting the whole of MythTV to Android, which
>> while still Linux is far from GNU/Linux, or adding protocol/services support to an
>> existing Android video player.
> Right. And it may not even go that far. The OP asked about using "an
> android stick to just play back recorded TV", not "running the
> mythfrontend executable on ARM". So the question really is, can the
> Android stick in question -- with existing Android OS with the
> existing Android player -- display ATSC or h.2whatever his capture
> device is recording on his Myth BE, via some network protocol, be it
> NFS, SMB, HTTP, myth://, or whatever. As such, it might be considered
> marginally off-topic but I'm tolerant. :)

I've been watching my mythtv back end on an Adroid device using the myth
UPNP interface.   There is none of the commercial skipping. And the
interface is not as nice as a real mythtv front end.  But it is working
for low resolution video.  For HDTV it's a bit difficult on my setup.
But I suspect that is a function of running Cyanogenmod on an HP Touchpad.

Isn't the Mythtv front end written in Qt?  Isn't "necessitas"
(spelling?) a way to run Qt on Android devices? I'm thinking the
trickiest part will be playing videos and the graphic overlays.  I am
guessing, but I doubt that necessitas has those capabilities (yet).

Unfortunately I don't see much necessitas activity.  Not for the last 8
months at least:
http://necessitas.kde.org/

BTW: Some of those Android "sticks" do have fans.