[mythtv-users] android sticks

Phil Wild phil at holobyte.com.au
Tue Aug 27 01:52:23 UTC 2013

On 27 August 2013 09:00, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

>>> Right. And it may not even go that far. The OP asked about using "an
>>> android stick to just play back recorded TV", not "running the
>>> mythfrontend executable on ARM". So the question really is, can the
>>> Android stick in question -- with existing Android OS with the
>>> existing Android player -- display ATSC or h.2whatever his capture
>>> device is recording on his Myth BE, via some network protocol, be it
>>> NFS, SMB, HTTP, myth://, or whatever. As such, it might be considered
>>> marginally off-topic but I'm tolerant. :)
>>>
>> I've been watching my mythtv back end on an Adroid device using the myth UPNP interface.   There is none of the commercial skipping. And the interface is not as nice as a real mythtv front end.  But it is working for low resolution video.  For HDTV it's a bit difficult on my setup.  But I suspect that is a function of running Cyanogenmod on an HP Touchpad.

I watch a lot of my recordings on an android device already. I just
don't use mythtv to do the watching. I use the mythlink script to give
the recordings some form of meaningful name. I run Plex Media Server
on my  mythtv system and it shares the collection out to all my ipads
and droids. The Plex Media Server transcodes the recordings on the fly
if the device is incapable of playing the native recorded format. Plex
is indexing my recording and video repositories.

It works reasonably well.