[mythtv-users] Recording drive disappeared...fine on reboot

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Aug 28 03:19:07 UTC 2013

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 18:25:49 -0600, you wrote:

>On 08/27/2013 03:00 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
>> The Green drives tend to accumulate high LCCs because their idle head
>> park timeout is very short (8 seconds?).
>
>What exactly does that mean? Is that the amount of time since the last
>access that it will spin down?
>
>I've got one of these drives, plus another big one (4TB)  in my backup
>storage server.

Yes, it will spin down that long after the last access.  I have two WD
green drives as my videos storage, and if I am playing a low bit rate
video, there is sometimes enough buffered data that the drive will
spin down in the middle of playing it.

Get idle3-tools from here:

  http://idle3-tools.sourceforge.net/