[mythtv-users] Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Captain Hook captainhookzero at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 15:06:46 UTC 2013

I misread the wording on the filter in the dark.  This morning I looked
again and it says "QLP-1G", not "16".  It also says "PPC" underneath, and a
quick Google search leads me to believe that this is in fact a MoCA
filter.  I do not live in a "complex" but there are around 7 houses on my
street.  The interesting thing is that I believe that this problem may have
gotten worse in early spring, which is about the same time I got new
neighbors.  The previous neighbors had satellite TV, not sure about
internet.  I will also say that I've noticed a speed reduction in my
internet at times which I have also attributed to the neighbor (none of
this is based on any facts of course).

That said, this filter was installed prior to them moving in, so I don't
think that was installed to resolve this and I haven't had Comcast out in
over a year.  I did have just internet service from them before adding TV
as well last September.

Just as another test, I removed the filter this morning to see what would
happen to my signal.  So now I have (just the path to my HDHR
Prime) Comcast in -->Self Supplied Old Comcast Splitter -->40' Comcast
installed coax cable --> Self Supplied Splitter --> HD Homerun Prime.  I am
seeing abotu the same signal strength as I was with the filter, at
approximately -3 to -5.4 dBmV, depending on channel.

My next test will be to reinstall the Motorola amplifier in place of
splitter 1, but try to reduce the signal by using the Monster Cable
splitter (-7.5dB/output) and the Comcast-supplied splitter (-3.5dB).  If
this isn't successful, I am going to send back the Motorola 2 Port
amplifier (labeled "+11dB"), and replace it with a Motorola 4 port
amplifier (labeled "+7dB"), and split the signal with splitters the same
way.

Also, yes, the amplifier is labeled "0dB" on the upstream side and it is
supposed to be cable modem safe.