[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Wed Aug 28 20:08:44 UTC 2013

On 28.08.2013 19:28, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> Greetings Mythizens, In the interest o reducing my carbon footprint I'm
> looking into the auto-wake/shutdown features, but I need some
> clarification. From this site:
> http://ghichepcanhan.com/2013/05/29/how-to-setup-automatic-shutdown-and-automatic-wakeup-with-mythtv/

> which makes me think there is no UTC option and I must use rtc, further

If I understand it correctly using UTC or not is a decision that is
mostly made depending on presence of other (Windows) operating systems
dual-booting on the same hardware.
Pro UTC: no hassle with DST etc
Con UTC: hassle with dual boot

You will be using the Real Time Clock chip with UTC or local time.

> in BIOS I can toggle between S1, S2, S3, and auto, no S4 which is what
> the terminal says I can wake from. Am I on the right track? Direction
> and/or pointers greatly appreciated.

I'd try S5, aka normal shutdown to (so called) powered off state,
instead. The only thing to verify would be if your tuners like
soft-power off reboots. (usually they do, but I vaguely remember some
buggy hardware that doesn't like soft reboots)

> RTC time was identical to desktop display time in each case.

check that
  * you can set what should happen after power loss (hint "on", not
    "off" and not "last state") as you may be regaining power after the
    alarm time has passed thus never waking up automatically.
  * your tuners support whichever power saving state you decide on (do
    they need special fiddling to come back to working state?)
  * MythTV likes whatever state you decide on. hint: full shutdown is
    known to work well :-)

Regards,
Karl