[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 29 20:39:49 UTC 2013

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:16:12 +0100, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Test failed!
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ cat /proc/driver/rtc
> rtc_time	: 12:00:42
> rtc_date	: 2013-08-29
> alrm_time	: 12:05:26
> alrm_date	: 2013-08-29
> alarm_IRQ	: no
> alrm_pending	: no
> update IRQ enabled	: no
> periodic IRQ enabled	: no
> periodic IRQ frequency	: 1024
> max user IRQ frequency	: 64
> 24hr		: yes
> periodic_IRQ	: no
> update_IRQ	: no
> HPET_emulated	: yes
> BCD		: yes
> DST_enable	: no
> periodic_freq	: 1024
> batt_status	: okay
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$
> Where I have noticed differences, I have inserted comments into the
> terminal output from "cat /proc/driver/rtc" with ">>>" Am I getting
> close?
>
> Daryl

The only relevant lines are 'alrm_time/date' & 'alarm_IRQ'. The others
don't matter.

I get the same. The "sudo sh -c" method doesn't work. I don't know why.

There is also an RTC quirk in that resetting the alarm or failing to write
it sets the alarm date/time to 5 mins in the future. Again I don't know
why, but that explains your 12:05.

I don't see any alternative to using the root user. Avoiding it is
generally wise advice but if you're scared of it, you'll be alright. And
you are doing proper 'root' stuff, after all.

If game, try the following commands in a terminal (but not the bracketed
bits). Cut & paste is a good idea.

sudo
bash
(enter password & note the different prompt - you're now root user)
SECS=`date -u --date "2013-08-29 12:30:00" +%s`          (use appropriate
date/time)
echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
cat
/proc/driver/rtc
(alarm_time should be 5 mins in future, alarm_IRQ=no)
echo $SECS > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
cat
/proc/driver/rtc
(alarm_time should be set, alarm_IRQ=yes)
<CTRL>
(logs you out of root)

Shutdown & wait for restart. I'm assuming you have set the BIOS "Wake on
RTC" option & have already disabled the hwclock updates, as per wiki