[mythtv-users] seeking suggestion for network-based tuner (in USA)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 00:42:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Robert M. Riches Jr.
<rm.riches at jacob21819.net> wrote:
> After one too many times of having the USB-connected WinTV
> HVR-1950 Model 75111 (or its driver modules) go comatose, lose a
> night's recordings, and require host reboot to restore function,
> I'm thinking it would save me time to use an ethernet-connected
> tuner and sideline the USB-connected unit.

HVR-1950's are notorious (in my experience) for having bad
power bricks, and for over-heating.  Both generate random
hangs/resets.  When I was using them, I ended up replacing
all the power supplies (after two, i proactively replaced the
other two) with higher quality ones from my local electronic
surplus store.  I also had failures when I put them on top
of each other in a semi-closed cabinet (the top ones failed
first) which I attributed to heat since (a) they felt very hot,
and (b) moving them to cooler location (and not placing them
on top of each other) solved that problem.

Gary