[mythtv-users] Fwd: Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Aug 30 18:10:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Captain Hook <captainhookzero at gmail.com> wrote:
> Background
>  I have been having intermittent issues with recording quality with my
> HDHomeRun Prime with Comcast cablecard since the inception of this project.
> I am really remembering why I gave this HTPC nonsense up years ago, but I'm
> already significantly invested in this at this point and I am determined to
> see it through.
>
> Issues
>  Intermittent issues with recordings on MythTV. Some recordings will be
> perfect, others will have pixelation periodically, others will have heavy
> pixelation, yet others will be so bad that the recordings stop during
> playback. The same channel will not behave the same twice--sometimes things
> are fine, other times they are terrible. This seems to happen on any channel
> and do not occur at any particular time of the day or during any other
> operations or recordings on my network.
>
> During playback the pixelation occurs at exactly the same points on damaged
> recordings. This pixelation is also present in other frontends that I have
> used as well as playing them in VLC.

Not sure it's any help, but I used to have a very similar problem but
it only happend on a few channels.  Came to find out that those
channels also happened to be on the same frequency as my Verizon LTE
phone... every time I had my phone in my office with me, I would have
damaged recordings on my prime.  The same channels were unaffected on
my standard HDHR... which suggests that the Prime is more susceptible
to interference.

I made a tinfoil faraday cage for my Prime and haven't seen the issue since.