[mythtv-users] Hardware question

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 00:53:49 UTC 2013

On 8/30/13 8:24 PM, HP-mini wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-08-31 at 12:04 +1200, HP-mini wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I have a list of specs now for any future PC builds here.  ;)
>>> But, I'm limited on the hardware of this machine to either AGP or PCI,
>>> looks like PCI is going to win this race with the 210 card I'm looking at.
>>>
>>> Rather ironic how I relied on this same model dual xeon system at work a
>>> handful of years ago, now it's simply serving up media for the house.
>>> Oh well, it was either this system or the spare Dell 2850 in the
>>> basement.  ;)
>> There are no PCI nVidia 200 series video cards..
>> PCI was obsoleted by AGP & that was a long long time ago..
>> The last PCI video card were oddball versions of 8400GS.
>>
>> There are no AGP cards that support VDPAU but with a fast CPU that does
>> not matter (except for power consumption).
>>

> Wikipedia suggests that there is a PCI version of GT210.
> That could have been made to support some OEM requirement & would be
> more expensive.
> I think the wikipedia info is wrong..
> But good luck trying to find one.

http://www.amazon.com/Sparkle-PC-GeForce-Graphics-SP210L512JCPI/dp/B00ABG6Y5S/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1377812745&sr=8-15&keywords=GeForce+210
Says it's PCI and a GeForce 210 clone.

Regardless, it's *got* to be better than the Quadro4 with bad memory
that was in the  machine (had to steal a card from my spare, spare
antique to get the thing lit up.
But, I think dual 1.8GHZ Xeon processors have a fair amount of
horsepower. In spite of my running four cams, two IP cams, two V4L cams
for ZoneMinder on it as well (those keep an eye on my 83 year old
father, who is suffering from dementia).

For fun, I use a Cubox to monitor those cameras when upstairs and when
dad's in bed, watch videos off of my Myth backend.
Mixed results for the entertainment, acceptable performance with the
monitoring the surveillance cameras. It falters when handling swift
action movie scene changes and heavy compression.
I'm going to play a bit with that unit as well, as I'm certain that some
of the video processing isn't quite being exploited as well as it can be.