[mythtv-users] Hardware question

Captain Hook captainhookzero at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 01:13:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Stephen P. Villano <
stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/30/13 8:24 PM, HP-mini wrote:

> at.

> >> There are no PCI nVidia 200 series video cards..
> >> PCI was obsoleted by AGP & that was a long long time ago..
> >> The last PCI video card were oddball versions of 8400GS.
> >>
> >> There are no AGP cards that support VDPAU but with a fast CPU that does
> >> not matter (except for power consumption).
> >>

> > Wikipedia suggests that there is a PCI version of GT210.
> > That could have been made to support some OEM requirement & would be
> > more expensive.
> > I think the wikipedia info is wrong..
> > But good luck trying to find one.
> >

> http://www.amazon.com/Sparkle-PC-GeForce-Graphics-SP210L512JCPI/dp/B00ABG6Y5S/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1377812745&sr=8-15&keywords=GeForce+210
> Says it's PCI and a GeForce 210 clone.
>
> Regardless, it's *got* to be better than the Quadro4 with bad memory
> that was in the  machine (had to steal a card from my spare, spare
> antique to get the thing lit up.
> But, I think dual 1.8GHZ Xeon processors have a fair amount of
> horsepower. In spite of my running four cams, two IP cams, two V4L cams
> for ZoneMinder on it as well (those keep an eye on my 83 year old
> father, who is suffering from dementia).
>
> For fun, I use a Cubox to monitor those cameras when upstairs and when
> dad's in bed, watch videos off of my Myth backend.
> Mixed results for the entertainment, acceptable performance with the
> monitoring the surveillance cameras. It falters when handling swift
> action movie scene changes and heavy compression.
> I'm going to play a bit with that unit as well, as I'm certain that some
> of the video processing isn't quite being exploited as well as it can be.

I had a PowerEdge 2950 at the office that was previously running Exchange
2007 for my entire office of 110+ users.  After virtualizing it was sitting
around doing nothing so I decided to bring it home and use it in place of
the server I built in January.  I turned it on and it sounded like a jet
airplane.  I guess the datacenter in my office is loud because it seemed
quiet in there.  In any case, it was a dual Xeon server with 16GB of RAM
and multiple 146GB 15K SAS drives with hardware raid (Perc 6) so I thought
it would at least be comparable to my existing i5 3570k-based "server" I
already had, right?  Wrong.  A few benchmarks proved that the i5 system
could run absolute circles around the PowerEdge so I promptly took it back
to the office where it is now a FreeNAS system to play around with.