[mythtv-users] Really frustrated trying setup MythTV

Jason Ward JasonFWard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 23:48:20 UTC 2013

----- Original message -----

From: Zig <[1]jzigpublic at gmail.com>

To: Discussion about MythTV <[2]mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Really frustrated trying setup MythTV

Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 17:36:23 -0600

I can speak to one of your problems.  After doing a fresh install from
a Mythbuntu iso there is no need to install "aptitude" to "manually
force" the upgrade from 0.25 to 0.27.

Yes, use Myth-Control-Center to select the 0.27 repository.  If, when
you then go to the "update manager" and select "install", it offers you
a "partial upgrade" or informs you that "packages are being held back",
you should decline and cancel out of the "update manager" and open up a
"terminal" session.

At the command line do:

sudo apt-get update

and then do:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The above procedure is outlined at the second to the last bullet near
the bottom of:

[3]http://www.mythbuntu.org/repos

Just guessing here but perhaps doing a "manual forced" update with
aptitude has mucked some things up.?.

Ziggy

[4]mythtv-users at mythtv.org

When I got the "held back" error message when attempting to upgrade to
0.27 I Googled it and came across this
[6]http://askubuntu.com/questions/601/the-following-packages-have-been-
kept-back-why-and-how-do-i-solve-it see that apparently "

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" could be a dangerous thing to do, I opted
for the aptitude solution given in the thread.

I don't think aptitude mucked anything up, certainly there were no
errors during the upgrade process and so long as I'm running the
frontend on the backend machine everything appears well.