[mythtv-users] Pixelation of reds using Intel/OpenGL

David Edwards david at more.fool.me.uk
Tue Dec 3 09:05:39 UTC 2013

On 2 December 2013 21:28, David Litchman <david.litchman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/2/2013 8:23 AM, David Edwards wrote:
>> However, with this playback profile, I've noticed that on SD content,
>> areas of saturated red look badly pixelated.
> It's called chroma subsampling, Gooling that term will bring up plenty of
> results with in-depth explanations.  As it's an artifact of how the video is
> encoded I don't know what, if anything can be done to reduce the effect.

Interesting - thanks, David. I'm certain I wasn't seeing this issue
when I was using VDPAU for playback, so either my OpenGL is doing a
very bad job on this content or the encoding on these channels has
changed coincidentally at the same time as my H/W change. I will see
if I can dig out some old recordings to discount the latter.

I should probably have said I'm using 0.27/fixes (from Mythbuntu) on
top of Ubuntu 13.10. I'll also see if I can get some screenshots to
demonstrate the problem.

David