[mythtv-users] Automatic antenna aiming?

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 16:05:51 UTC 2013

I picked up a similar antenna from The Source (Formerly Radio Shack in
Canada) and I pick up all 6 stations in my area without issue.

Prior to this, I actually made my own antennas.  If you're handy, you can
make your own antennas with some copper pipe and PVC for a few dollars.
Since I only get 6 channels in my area, I did this initially.  It worked
well!  I built one for VHF-Lo specifically as there was one station (CIII
Global TV) that had gone digital, but remained on Channel 6, which was
annoying.  Most of the 'digital' TV antennas you get out there are not
sensitive to the VHF-Lo band, save for some of the pricier outdoor models.
I built three antennas in total (VHF-Lo, Hi and UHF), all aimed in various
directions, bought an antenna coupler from a local electronics store and I
had all 6 stations with over 90% signal.  Total cost, including the 1"
thick 10' steel post I used for mounting was $30.

I did this prior to putting out $100 CAD on the round antenna.  The
homebrews worked really well, but were ugly sitting up on my roof and the
wife wasn't happy. :D