[mythtv-users] S/PDIF input along with PVR-500

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Wed Dec 4 17:34:38 UTC 2013

> I have a satellite stb which has RCA composite/stereo audio port, hdmi
> and an optical out. At the moment i have it connected to a PVR-500 via
> the composite/stereo cables. The audio on the optical out will be
> possibly be of higher quality.
>
> Is it possible for myth to read video through pvr-500 and audio using
> optical without any AV sync issues?

Nope, not really.  On the PVR-500, the audio and video are both
encoded in hardware.  So in order to capture audio via an optical
input on your sound card you would have to encode it in software and
mux it into the MPEG2 stream.  MythTV has no such functionality to do
this and you're almost guaranteed to have AV sync problems.

You're probably better off with an HDPVR for such an application,
since it natively supports optical capture (including support for
bitstream audio) and does everything in hardware to ensure there
aren't A/V sync issues.

Regards,

Devin

--