[mythtv-users] analog side of hvr-1600 and hvr-2250

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Dec 4 21:56:05 UTC 2013

On 12/03/2013 11:44 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/02/2013 10:58 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> FWIW, this is the type of problem udev was made for.  It allows you
>>> to tell
>>> the system the proper order to load modules, so that you don't have
>>> to let
>>> the system load them in random order, then have a script remove them,
>>> then
>>> load them in the proper order.
>> Actually, in this case it's a driver bug.  All v4l-dvb drivers are
>> supposed to properly setup their module dependencies and handle the
>> probe event properly for both the case where dependencies are already
>> loaded or not.  That said, these sorts of issues can sometimes be
>> subtle and result in "correct" behavior most of the time (which makes
>> it that much more difficult to debug).
>>
>> I just haven't had a chance to chase down the issue yet.
>
> Right, but udev is a better approach for working around the bug than
> unloading and reloading all the modules and then restarting all of MythTV.

Mike, I would be willing to try any udev rules you can come up with. I
pinged Devin over a year ago about this problem but no fix has yet been
found. We discussed this and when I sent him a copy of dmesg, I got back:

On 07/19/2012 10:30 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
 > Wow, ok.  That is *not* what I was expecting to see in your dmesg
output.

Best guess: modules are being loaded before the device has stabilized.
Should NOT happen, but it does for me,
Most intriguing of course, is that just about no-one else sees this.
Does Ubuntu have a udev script for these modules? Fedora does not.
Wild ass-guess: Devin, is it possible that somehow systemd is behind
this by starting everything in parallel?  I did not think that systemd
had anything to do with the first passes of hardware initialization, but
I know that it does impinge on some things (network mainlu AIUI).

For anyone else still reading this thread, from an old thread:

There are some tricky bits with setup in mythtv, the two most important
being that you CANNOT set the digital side to perform an EIT scan (it
will hog the card and deny analog access) and you have to set up the
digital side as tuners but attach to the *analog* source. It reports an
error into the log that, in effect /dev/dvb/adaptor0/frontend0 cannot
tune to (analog) channel 55 (or whatever), but the analog side works. I
got tuning errors before finding that gem on a Ubuntu list

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Mandamus Publishing Inc.