[mythtv-users] How to transcode to SD within mythtv - system too slow to play HD

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Dec 10 09:30:27 UTC 2013

On 09/12/13 23:14, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 12/9/2013 8:40 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> First; why are you recording HD?
>
> If you're recording digital, you have no choice in the formatting.
>
>> Is that the only version that is available to you?
>
> That's how it is in the US.  The major networks are all HD, and do not
> simulcast an SD version.

Right.  Here I have 4 (soon 5) HD digital channels through OTA DVB-T2,
h264, all of which are usually simultaneously broadcast in SD DVB-T,
mpeg2.  Plus 100+ other channels, maybe 30 of those radio, and many of
them part-time and/or at lower bitrates.

I've no idea how this 'thread' has got so contorted.

John