[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun - Comcast shut off clear QAM

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 06:18:11 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Stephen P. Villano
<stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:

> Really? I was certain I read an announcement recently about that unit.
> It's late, so I'll not search my archived mailings, but I do believe it
> was mentioned on this list.

What I meant when I say announced is announced for ordering
(and, for this thread, only the CableCARD capable devices).
Not a press release about a future product.  SiliconDust has
announced a non-CableCARD device (shipping end of the week)
which will do clear QAM/ATSC and hardware transcoding, and
a non-transcoding version.  But the CableCARD device is
not expected to be seen before next calendar year (for that
matter, no results for CW102 have yet been posted, so it could
be even later).  SiliconDust has also provided the details of what
devices will be offered (a 4th gen 2 tuner clear QAM/ATSC device
(the replacement for the HDHR3-US), a 4th gen 2 tuner clear
QAM/ATSC device with hardware transcoding, a 4th gen 4
tuner CableCARD device, and a 4th gen 4 tuner CableCARD
device with hardware transcoding, and some 4th gen products
for the "rest of the world" (at least one already shipping)),
along with a partnership with SimpleTV.  But right now, only the
2 tuner clear QAM/ATSC devices have had an announced ship date.