[mythtv-users] How to transcode to SD within mythtv - system too slow to play HD

Tony Sauri hoiho.nz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 21:17:35 UTC 2013

On 11/12/13 22:24, John Pilkington wrote:

> I was expecting you to try something with -target ntsc-dvd -s 720x480
>
> I still haven't located current documentation for -target.

man is always your friend ;-)

On my system xubuntu 13.2 with this version of ffmpeg installed:

ffmpeg version 0.8.6-4:0.8.6-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2013
the Libav developers
   built on Apr  2 2013 17:00:59 with gcc 4.6.3
*** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a
future release. Please use avconv instead.

man ffmpeg gives this information (several screens down):

        -target type
            Specify target file type ("vcd", "svcd",
             "dvd", "dv", "dv50", "pal-vcd", "ntsc-svcd", ... ).

             All the format options (bitrate, codecs, buffer sizes) are
            then set automatically. You can just type:

                 ffmpeg -i myfile.avi -target vcd /tmp/vcd.mpg

            Nevertheless you can specify additional options as long
             as you know they do not conflict with the standard, as in:

                    ffmpeg -i myfile.avi -target vcd -bf 2 /tmp/vcd.mpg

Tony