[mythtv-users] reconciling ICETV versus Shepherd data

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 12 08:28:22 UTC 2013

Just completed an upgrade from ICETV program guide data to Shepherd program
guide data.

Have hit major hurdle number 1. It would appear based on my investigations
to date (less than 24hrs into changeover) that Shepherd and ICETV use very
different programid, seriesid and description values. As such I am no longer
seeing shows as 'previously recorded' in the listings guide and I suspect
over time it is going to re-record everything that has been previously
recorded. As far as I can see my options are (probably in order of most
recommended to least recommended and least dangerous to most dangerous):
1) Revert to ICETV and keep paying for the program guide data.
2) Manually hit 'Never Record' in Mythweb when I see something that I
recognise as previously recorded otherwise just try and sort it out as the
recordings come through or recording conflicts occur.
3) Change the duplicate detection - however a lot of my recordings are
Movies (so no subtitle) and given that descriptions are also different (and
programid's exist) I suspect that duplicate detection would still fail.
4) Update the previous ICETV programid's to match the Shepherd programid's
(is there some sort of 'global database' that keeps this sort of
information? I suspect not, that would be too easy...)
5) Some sort of 'magic' or 'script' or 'something' to 'fix' the problem?

Looking for some suggestions on what 'magic' might be possible?

Have just completed database migration (complete system rebuild actually -
am now protected against /var and /tmp going rogue and destroying the system
and have nailed down my nvidia proprietary driver problems) - long story
short don't mind rolling up the sleeves and getting dirty if it looks like
it would deliver tangible benefit.

I've got some 500 odd movies recorded via Myth and 1000 TV episodes so was
hoping to avoid the manual review of the listings schedule each week to try
and manually identify duplicates.

Any suggestions gratefully received.