[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun - Comcast shut off clear QAM

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 12 12:15:14 UTC 2013

On 12/11/2013 09:49 PM, Monkey Pet wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2013 12:43 PM, Monkey Pet wrote:
>>
>>> Go OTA, plop up an antenna.  Also subscribe to netflix
>>>
>> and/or Amazon Prime (with Amazon Instant Prime)--though I'll admit Netflix
>> has the better library (especially if you do Netflix DVD subscription).
>>

>>   and huluplus.  Buy yourself a chromecast,
>> AIUI, only if you have a stack of extra batteries for your phone or
>> tablet, since it has to do the decoding and playback and the Chromecast is
>> just a "second screen"--and you'll especially need those batteries if it's
>> a phone that's made by the "not Google" company, since it will only stream
>> the screen when the phone screen is on/lit up/sucking battery power.
>
> Once you start the stream, you can put your mobile device android or iOS to
> sleep and save the battery on it.

I was told by someone in IRC who had one that putting the iOS system to
sleep caused the playback to stop.  That may no longer be the case, or
perhaps he had configured things incorrectly or something.  Regardless,
Chromecast only works with apps that have a Chromecast button--not every
app--and last I heard on iOS that was only YouTube and Netflix apps.

I still think the right approach is a smart device, like a Roku (or an
Xbox 360/One or a PS3/4 or even a "smart" Blu-Ray play or ...) versus a
"only works if we make an app that lets you" piece of "because we can"
(not "because it's a great way of doing things") technology.

Then again, I believe that a mythfrontend system should have the CPU
required to decode the video it's being asked to play--but it seems
plenty of people are content with frontends that are completely reliant
on VDPAU, so I suppose some may not care that their "smart" device for
the TV requires a phone/tablet and an app that deigns to allow the
device to work (even if they're using an iOS device, for which Apple has
no business need/desire to support Chromecast).

Mike