[mythtv-users] HDPVR HD Recordings are in 4:3 format

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Fri Dec 13 05:07:55 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 12/12/2013 08:05 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>  FWIW, there is no reason anyone in the world should ever set the Video
>>> Aspect Override setting--except for the never-gonna-exist-in-reality
>>> person
>>> who has 100% of all video sources providing incorrectly-encoded video
>>> that
>>> gives the wrong aspect ratio information, or you've misconfigured X such
>>> that it's telling MythTV the display is using some incorrect aspect.
>>>
>> I have to use the Video Aspect Override setting to force my 4:3 videos
>>
>> recorded on a PVR500 to display correctly on my 4:3 CRT SDTV because it's
>> passing through an HDMI->Composite converter that is accepting a 720p
>> signal. (Without the override they are squashed horizontally). I tried
>> other video mode settings in X (thoroughly) but the aspect was still wrong
>> so this is what I stuck with. It causes no other issues for us, though, so
>> it's no problem.
>>

> This sounds like you have your recording profile set up to use 4:3 but are
> sending 16:9 to the PVR-500, so you've been using the "ignore the
> recording's specified bitrate" to work around the fact that you're encoding
> it incorrectly (i.e. 2 wrongs to make a right).  It should also mean that
> any properly-encoded widescreen video will display incorrectly on your
> system.

No, the PVR-500 is still recording 4:3. This problem only occurred when I
switched hardware such that I no longer had a native TV-out and had to use
the HDMI->Composite converter. I'm not sure if the default HDMI EDID modes
even have a 4:3 option (but it doesn't really matter because the 720p looks
best with this converter). Anyway, it's strictly a display issue because it
happens with old recordings as well. I don't record any 16:9 content, but
some DVD rips do display incorrectly (16:9 fills the screen when it should
be letterboxed instead). We use videos infrequently, though, and it doesn't
really bother us. The problem will go away when we buy a new TV, but we're
not in any hurry...

Karl