[mythtv-users] Moving from package to compile from source

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 18 09:59:25 UTC 2013

I'm about to try moving away from pulling MythTV down via the packages to compiling from git source.

Will definitely do backup of database before trying.

I'm kind of hoping it is as simple as just sudo apt-get remove mythfrontend / mythbackend / mythbuntu-control-centre and then git pull / ./configure, make, make install (I've already done the git pull and ./configure and make parts but never the make install obviously). I'm then hoping that everything else that is separate from the actual executables (like the mythtv user config, the database config, and all the other things that I don't even know that I don't know about) will all remain unchanged and a reboot to start the new mythbackend executable will have me up and running again in the blink of an eye.

But hoping is not knowing. And I don't know.

And it all seems too simple to be true.

Does anyone have any advice for me in this situation.

Thanks in advance.