[mythtv-users] Moving frontend/backend to a new machine

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Dec 19 20:02:45 UTC 2013

On 12/19/2013 02:36 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> [...]
>     >>
>     >> was for access to the mysql database.  Is this a factor in moving
>     >> things to the new computer?  I don't see it mentioned on the
>     database
>     >> migration page, but I admit moving this makes me a little
>     nervous (I
>     >> am not what I would call a power user), so I  would just like to
>     >> verify before I start.
>     >>
>     >> BTW, if anyone knows of an alternate guide to doing this please
>     pass
>     >> it along.  I often find having more than one perspective on doing
>     >> something helps.
>     >>
>     >> Thanks,
>     >> Jon
>     >> mythtv-users mailing list
>     >> mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>     > Hello Jon,
>     >
>     > I have moved my backend many times already from one machine to the
>     > next one... starting on a PII, Athlon, Athlon X2, and now I am on an
>     > ivy bridge celeron, I think, always complete with the underlaying
>     > linux installation, either just taking the hard disk to the new
>     > computer or copying the whole system to to a new disk (there are
>     > instructions on the internet to do that, you might have to boot
>     from a
>     > CD to reconfigure grub). This saved me from reconfiguring, not only
>     > myth, but also the web server, the mail system, the users, the
>     cloud,
>     > the pbx (at that time)...
>     >
>     > This is also why I am still running 32bit on 64bit hardware, but
>     I do
>     > not see the need to change to 64bit at all (maybe a tiny little
>     > technology itch, but I can live in peace with that.)
>     >
>     > That is one of the great things about linux: Changing the platform
>     > does not mean automatically that you have to reinstall. It is quite
>     > cool to see the old installation booting the first time on new
>     hardware.
>     >
>     > It sometimes needs some tweaking, removing old network adaptors,
>     > tweaking powersaving, minor things that you have to tweak manually
>     > anyway.
>     >
>     > And when everything is running, you still should go and recover your
>     > passwords, maybe.
>     >
>     > Good luck and fun for your holidays project!
>     >
>     > Matthias
>
>     I've copied the entire /root/.mythtv directory and the
>     entire /var/lib/mysql directory over (perhaps not the best
>     practice, but
>     it has worked well) to the remote host.
>

> Don't do that. The fact that it worked just means you've been lucky.

Not lucky at all.  When you are in the process of moving a system,
definitely make sure you DO NOT have mysqld running.  In all cases of
migrations, I have mythbackend off, mysql off.  Attempting to move a
database when it is running.. well, that's just silly talk. :)

>      You could always do a mysqldump
>     mythconverg > mythconverg.sql, copy the file over to the new host and
>     run mysql < /root/mythconverg,
>

> Don't do that either. You should use the mythconverg_backup.pl
> <http://mythconverg_backup.pl> and mythconverg_restore.pl
> <http://mythconverg_restore.pl> scripts (in the /usr/share/mythtv
> directory in most distros) to ensure you get the correct command line
> switches to avoid a corrupted database.

Sorry.. I sent that out too quickly.. I should have clarified that I
always run "mysqldump --add-drop-table --complete-insert
--extended-insert mythconverg" when backing up my databases nightly, and
I've used that backup in the past to do restores locally and to test
hosts (when testing a new revision).  Looks like mythconverg_backup.pl
is a cool wrapper around that (although it looks like the
mythconverg_backup.pl command has a --no-create-db option, which doesn't
give the warm-n-fuzzy, and it has --add-drop-table in there twice).

The mythconverg_backup.pl and mythconverg_restore.pl scripts are a good
way to go as well, especially if you don't have a lot of linux
experience.  Personally, I didn't know they existed (probably didn't
when I first started with myth), so now I have something to investigate
in order to modernize my backup process. :)  Thanks!

-Rich