[mythtv-users] Moving frontend/backend to a new machine

Jon N jdnandroid at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 02:37:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:

> Getting back on track here, other items for the original requester to
> consider when moving the frontend/backed to a new machine are to:
> 1. maintain the same path(s) to your recording storage or be prepared to
> update the entry in your storage groups within mythtv-setup

I was wondering about this.  Specifically, I was wondering if the
recordings are in any location set up as a storage group if that would
be enough for them to be found.  As it is I don't really need to
change the path where I mount the hdd the recordings are stored on, so
I should be able to duplicate it.

> 2. Since the machine is a frontend-backend system, keep in mind that
> devices *may* likely change.  Recording devices, USB devices, network
> devices, etc.

I'm not expecting any problems here as the turners are on the same
network (they are HDHomerun's), and I don't have MythTV look at
removable media (I don't even have a optical disk drive in the new
computer).  Unless moving the database will bring (phantom?)
references over that will cause difficulties somehow.  I guess I can
try to go through the frontend and backend settings and try to remove
everything I think is optional before doing the 'final' backup.

> 3. I had been only referencing handling the backend.  Keep in mind that
> the frontend piles a lot in the .mythtv folder, like coverart and such
> (unless you changed the path to point elsewhere).  If the path changes,
> you will not get your coverart as you expect.
> 4. If you choose to copy data over vs moving over your hard disk, make
> sure you grab all of your coverart. :)

I'm going to save everything I can.  I run the frontend as myself, so
I will have both the mythtv user and my own login home directories to
save.  I think I will check what the new installation puts in those
same directories first (and back those up) and add the files from the
old system that are not there already.  At least I tihnk that will
preserve settings that may be specific to the new computer.  I'm not
ever sure if that makes sense, but if it backfires I can always start
from scratch again.

> There's more, but you get the idea.  Moving from one system to another
> isn't an insurmountable task, but it does take some perseverance and
> general under-the-hood linux know-how.  And you always have the list
> here to help in a pinch.

Thanks.  There is one something that occurred to me recently.  There
are warnings about having different host names on the MythTV.org site,
and directions on how to deal with it.  My current system apparently
doesn't even have a host.  When ever Apache updates I see messages
about not finding a host name, and to use mythweb I have to specify
the IP address of my machine.  Do you know how this will affect moving
the database over?

Thanks,
Jon