[mythtv-users] http_proxy environment variable causing a raft of problems

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Dec 20 13:11:53 UTC 2013

So, I had earlier detailed a list of problems I have been having since
the upgrade from 0.26 to 0.27 here:

      * after long periods of idle (and indeed, possibly after being
        woken from suspend), FEs are unable to reconnect to the BE
      * playing recording-in-progress hangs FE, needing restart
      * playing recordings via mythtv:// protocol not working
      * long "Please Wait..." screens

It would appear that these are all being caused by MythTV/QT's proxy
handling.

These all go away if I simply unset the http_proxy environment variable
before starting mythfrontend.

But unsetting that environment variable is not really an acceptable
solution since there are aspects of mythfrontend's function that
requires Internet access and that's done through a proxy here.

It is worth noting here that even when the http_proxy environment
variable is set, sockets between the FE and the BE do NOT actually go
through the proxy server, so the proxy server is not at fault here, it's
just the presence of the environment variable.

So, is this a case of QT's proxy handling being broken or how MythTV is
using QT's proxy handling?  Even though it's entirely possible it seems
less likely that this is a problem with QT since so much more
software/installations/users would be affected by it and it would likely
cause a loudish uproar.

So is there something MythTV is doing incorrectly in regards to
http_proxy handling?

Cheers,
b.