[mythtv-users] http_proxy environment variable causing a raft of problems

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Dec 20 15:55:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 14:04 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> > That's just not how things are set up here and this set up works for
> > everything else except MythTV.  Do you really think it's acceptable to
> > have to re-engineer the network because 1 out of dozens of applications
> > is broken?
>
> Well, yes, if the network is improperly engineered in the first place.

How can you make that assertion?  You have no idea what my network looks
like.  You have no idea how well it works, for *everything* --
everything except this new version of MythTV that is.  All previous
versions of MythTV (dating back to 0.18) have worked fine and every
other application works fine.

> And because it is not just one application, it is a class of applications
> (likely any Qt based network application).

Maybe it is QT.  But that still doesn't mean my network is broken.  In
fact I have already demonstrated that this problem is not even physical,
as I have said repeatedly: the FE and BE communications are not even
using the proxy.  So if they are not using the proxy to communicate,
then the network is not at fault is it?  It's a software problem, right?

> Now, I can understand why
> one sometimes picks up a hammer to drive in a screw, but that still
> does not make it the appropriate tool to use in all cases.

So this is going to devolve into personal attacks now?  I'm an idiot
that is trying to use a hammer to drive a screw?

TBH, I'm not even sure what parts of my solution you are asserting are
the hammer and the screw and the screwdriver in your analogy?  Can you
please expand?

Which tool is it that you think I am mis-using?  My proxy is a hammer
because it's not transparent, but rather proxies, and tells the client
that that is what it is doing?  How is that misusing a proxy?

> Rather than
> trying to find hammers,

Again, I'd be most interested in knowing which tool in my solution that
you consider the hammer in your analogy and which tool would you say is
the screwdriver that I should use to drive my screw?

> I choose to properly engineer the infrastructure.

I can only assume you assert that properly engineering the
infrastructure means using a transparent proxy.  And just how do you do
that and employ browser/user authentication?

Indeed, I would assert that it's you, surreptitiously inserting your
proxy into a communications path where the two communicating endpoints
don't expect it, is more like a hammer vs. my implementation where I
openly announce to the clients that they are using a proxy, that will
require authentication and to act accordingly with it.

IMHO, when your communication path requires authentication and will
proxy the communications, telling the end points that is what is
happening is more like using a screwdriver to drive a screw than
secretly inserting that and not telling the endpoints.  To me, that's
using the hammer to drive the screw.

b.