[mythtv-users] Moving frontend/backend to a new machine

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Dec 20 17:41:23 UTC 2013

On 20/12/13 03:51, Mark Perkins wrote:

>> Thanks.  There is one something that occurred to me recently.  There are
>> warnings about having different host names on the MythTV.org site, and
>> directions on how to deal with it.  My current system apparently doesn't
>> even have a host.  When ever Apache updates I see messages about not
>> finding a host name, and to use mythweb I have to specify the IP address of
>> my machine.  Do you know how this will affect moving the database over?
>>
>> Thanks, Jon _______________________________________________
>
> I've just completed a backend migration. To be honest the easiest part was
> migrating the database. Followed the wiki and used the scripts and it was all
> done in a few minutes.
>
> I was also very conscious of the hostname change as well so I definitely
> followed the additional steps for that, check the wiki for the specifics - I
> found it excellent. And make sure mythtv-setup is the first Myth program to
> run after migration is complete, not the backend or the frontend just in
> case. I would strongly recommend following the additional hostname change
> steps if you are uncertain - just to be on the safe side.
>
> Actually I forget - are you moving to a new version? If you are there may be
> additional steps related to updating the database, something to keep in
> mind.
>
> Even with the hostname change my database migration only took a few minutes
> it was the easiest part. The hardest part was getting my USB tuners to work
> properly and video card drivers. Even now I still haven't got the video or
> audio stuff sorted but though I have a combined BE/FE the main FE duties are
> commflag boundaries on recordings and maintenance stuff not really viewing so
> that can wait to another day. And I still had a lot of knowledge in my head
> regarding all the idiosyncrasies of my USB tuners so that really helped a
> lot.
>
> Good luck!

Potential gotcha: On a normal install of a dedicated mythtv backend or frontend
the packages will assume that the 'mythtv' user is some kind of system user and
assign it a UID and GID based on whatever is available *on that host*. This
means that you may end up with differing UID/GID values on different hosts. This
might matter if you are using, e.g. LDAP or NFS for any purpose.

Simple solution: create the 'mythtv' user as a normal user - permitting you to
choose your own UID/GID combination /and/ where the home directory is - *before*
installing any mythtv package.

--

Mike Perkins