[mythtv-users] Recording analog video: Sound doesn't work

Rich Wilson richaw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 01:33:58 UTC 2013

I'm trying to digitize tapes from a camcorder, and I can't get the sound to
record.
I have the camcorder connected to my PCHDV HD-5500 card via S-video.
I have configured mythtv so that the s-video input on the HD-5500 card
shows up as TV channel 2.
I have connected the audio output from the camcorder to the HD-5500
card, and the HD-5500 audio output to my sound card. I can hear the
audio through the sound card if I turn up the  line input, so I believe
that connection is working. Of course, mythtv doesn't see that signal,
so recording would have no sound.

Now I go into mythtv-setup/Capture cards/[V4L : /dev/video0 ]
I presume I need to enter the appropriate thing for the Audio device:
I have tried numerous things, mostly getting no sound. One entry
(sorry, didn't take notes) resulted in very loud noise, and another
apparently put the backend into a tizzy, since the frontend couldn't
show channel 2.

I have tried;
ALSA:hw:0,0
ALSA:hw:1,0
ALSA:plughw:0,0
ALSA:plughw:1,0
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0c
/dev/snd/pcmC1D0c

Card 0 is my sound card, and 1 is the Conexant CX8801 on the HD-5500
Using alsamixer, I made sure the Conexant mixers were up.
Using alsamixer, I set the line input on my sound card as the capture
device, and
turned up all the sliders in the capture screen.

What am I missing?

Maybe you're going to ask what version of mythtv I'm running? I'm using
mythbuntu, and mythfrontend --version reports
v0.24.1-80-glde04331
Branch fixes/0.24

--
Rich Wilson