[mythtv-users] Motherboard / CPU recommendations

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 21:57:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM,  <david.scott.day at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since you offer that the GT520 and GT610 are not capable of doing high
> bit rate de-interlacing, perhaps you could also point out to us which
> cards are excellent at such things.

I recommend reviewing the lists on the nvnews.net forums for the
current card capabilities based on qvdpautest results, or reference
the benchmarks at http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/VDPAU-Benchmarks
for a limited set of cards.  Note that sometimes, nVidia releases
the same card with different capabilities (the 8400 had two completely
different versions, but marked with the same name, and I seem
to recall nVidia has done it numerous times since then, and nVidia
also rebrands cards to make them appear better), so pay attention
to the GPU specified, and not just the series number.

I have no personal experience with the current generation,
but I believe the GT640 is the minimal card that looks
to meet at least 60 frames per second in the MIXER
categories (and some headroom is usually desirable).
(The GT630 is just a rebranded GT440, so I do not consider
it as a current generation card).